From the owners and staff of the City Center Garden Market: Advice and Views on the practical implementation of a locally-based, sustainable, and healthy lifestyle.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer Fare

Yes, 'fare' not 'fair' - I had to share our dinners the last couple nights. I love summer!

Last night's menu included a few left over scallops along with some montster shrimp, sauteed in butter and Old Bay seasoning. Candy onions, sauteed in butter and chicken base. Brie with orange-juice-soaked craisins and dried cherries, heated in the microwave (it was just too hot to turn on the oven). Sweet corn was the denouement - but I'm afraid I really didn't have room after everything else.

I think I've shared all of the above recipes in previous posts. Let me tell you, it was yummy, though as I told Russ, dinner was a little rich but boy was it good!

Tonight, we had Cashel Irish Bleu Cheese Stuffed hamburgers, with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pancetta to dress the burgers (I had mine with a little Thousand Island dressing). We also had salad and corn on the cob (yes, we eat sweet corn just about every night while it's in season). Another gourmet meal - better than anything you can get at a restaurant, I'd wager!

Who can afford a dinner including pancetta and Cashel Irish Bleu Cheese, or an appetizer of brie with drunken fruit? Well, think about it this way. We're all cutting back, eating in to save money - but it doesn't mean you have to give up the good stuff. Once a week, instead of ordering out pizza, for the same amount of money you can splurge and spend an evening cooking a wonderful gourmet meal with your family. Become a frugal gourmet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your strategies, voice your opinions (nicely;), ask your questions - we really want to hear what you think!